Friday, August 15, 2014

Tiger Woods withdraws from consideration for 2014 U.S. Ryder Cup Team

By The PGA of America Tiger Woods has informed the PGA of America and United States Captain Tom Watson that due to his current health situation, he has taken himself out of consideration to serve as a Captain’s Pick for the 2014 U.S. Ryder Cup Team.  “While I greatly appreciate Tom thinking about me for a possible Captain’s Pick, I must take myself out of consideration,” Woods said. “I’ve been told by my doctors and trainer that my back muscles need to be rehabilitated and healed. They’ve advised me not to play or practice now. I’m extremely disappointed that I won’t be ready for the competition. The U.S. Team and the Ryder Cup mean too much to me not to be able to give it my best. I’ll be cheering for the U.S. Team. I think we have an outstanding squad going into the matches.”   “My primary wish is for Tiger to be healthy and competitive, and I hope that he’ll return to the game very soon,” said Watson. “Of course, I’m disappointed that Tiger Woods has asked not to be considered for the U.S. Ryder Cup Team, and that his health is not where he would like it to be. However, I think we can all agree that we need Tiger Woods in this great sport, and he has taken the high road by informing me early on in the selection process. My focus will remain on identifying three players to join the U.S. team and give us the best chance for success at Gleneagles.”  Woods has appeared on seven U.S. Ryder Cup Teams between 1997 and 2012. He did not compete in 2008, due to injury.   “By making this decision, Tiger has put the U.S. Ryder Cup Team and his health first,” said PGA President Ted Bishop. “And although we’re disappointed that he will not be part of this year’s Team, we respect Tiger’s decision, and wish him all the best for a speedy and successful recovery. This is a classy and respectful move by Tiger that allows Captain Watson plenty of time to formulate his team plans accordingly.”  Nine automatic berths on the U.S. Ryder Cup Team were secured following the conclusion of the 96th PGA Championship. The Americans clinching a spot on the team are: Five-time major champion Phil Mickelson, two-time Masters Champion Bubba Watson, 2003 U.S. Open Champion Jim Furyk, 2007 Masters Champion Zach Johnson, and PGA Tour stars Rickie Fowler, Matt Kuchar, Jordan Spieth, Jimmy Walker and Patrick Reed.  Watson will announce his three Captain’s Picks during a news conference from New York on Tuesday, Sept. 2 at 7 p.m., which will be broadcast live on Golf Channel.  The 40th Ryder Cup between the United States and Europe will be held at Gleneagles on the Jack Nicklaus designed-Centenary Course in Perthshire, Scotland, Sept. 26-28, 2014. NBC and Golf Channel will combine to broadcast the event live in its entirety in the U.S. for the first time ever from European soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment